Thursday, February 8, 2007

perception and reality

visual perception is the dominant one. but it is just a window. our awareness does not discriminate between the five senses. we feel as a whole when we are healthy. being alive itself is an intense experience. art deals with visual perception and beyond... explosion of new ideas in contemporary art kicked open many doors for our perception to expand further. subtle can be intense, art does not have to be loud. but loudness can bring silence too. depends on how it's presented. it works well when presentation is simple and more layers are embedded into it skillfully. all the effective works are presenting the mystery in the mundane. how? isn't it the big question? it's beyond language. just looking again at the works of Dali last week at MOMA and Metropolitan, NYC, for example, did it for me. I never used to care for Dali in my younger days. now Dali is a survivor in my mind, for sure. Francis Bacon, Anslem Keifer, and Gerhard Richter to name some. but not all Picassoes, in my opinion. none of the matisses. don't ask me why. my perception is my reality, right?

No comments: