Wednesday, June 6, 2007

i p h o n e . m e s s e n g e r s


mobile phone is an important invention of our times, like the radio and tv. new cell phone from apple computer is an amazing device. it is a cell phone, music player, internet device, camera and much more, rolled in one. the 'complete enchilada' of communication. the 'sarcastics' say it has a hidden washing machine inside!
in spite of all the exaggerations of features this phone has, it looks like capable of making all the existing cell phone companies to feel the uncomfortable knots in their throat chakras for coming months. now they have to step up. but look how addicted we are to a new gadget that claims to improve our lives further! people hate the product or they love it. either way it is in their mind-scape. that is what communication means now. create a marketing hype. sensation sells.

media is for communication. culture thrives with more dialogues. african tribes used drumming for communication across the distant plains and deserts. one drummer on a mountain top to another, far away. the messages of farming, war and love were communicated with precision. i do not know whether they still use it. may be iphones replaced the drums. communication is improving for sure; or are we communicating enough, really? if so, what are we trying to say each other?

does the ultimate communication through silence(!)
what mystic-masters talked about, has a chance now?
one could only wonder...
___________________________
" sorry, did I wake you up? "
" can you call me back ? "
" stop interrupting, let me talk "
" I am hanging up "
" wait, you listen to me "
" did you hear about..."
" shut up "
" this one time, when I was..."
" you are breaking up "
" leave a message at the tone"
" oh! my god...can you believe it..."
" I can not talk, I am driving..."
" can you hear me now ? "
" are you there ? "
" you gone ? "
" sorry, got cut off,
so then what happened? "
"oh, nothing...
let me go..."
___________________
http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid271543545/bclid428890160/bctid422563006

photo collage: 'iphone & distant drumming' 2007©sebastian

No comments: