Tuesday, August 18, 2009

i n t o . s o m e t h i n g
















She said, “ Looking at your latest, I think you are into something here.” I felt assured about my own assumptions as my work was almost taking a new turn. But “into something”, needed more clarification, and that did not happen. Then she added,
“at first I was not into it, now when I look at it again, it grows on me, now I am liking it. I love it”
“Great! but why?” “I can not figure out exactly why, right now”, she said.
I was left with my own devices for the whole evening.

It is difficult to look at my own work as someone else's. The final product is not what I see. I have vivid memories of the whole process. So the moment I see the completed work, everything I had gone through flashes in my mind and I can not separate myself from it. It may be possible after a long period of time; years may be. But the 'into something' factor is very important. This is the moment I hit that particular 'note'. That is the base 'note' for my next composition. It is not a high note or a lower one. Hitting a unique note happens when a 'letting go' moment comes, after a long period of hard work. The structured period brings something fluid and dynamic later. So let me hold on to this into something for now.

The rules in art are created by us and that freedom makes it risky. Convictions are formed when concepts start materializing right in front of us. If we do not say no to art, that means yes. I think when one do not have anything else to trust or to depend on, the total commitment comes naturally; no choice there. If I say I am an artist; then I am, and I start feeling like one. The work proves it along the way. Anything we value determines our life. I think and feel art. That's it.

________________________________________
"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend."
(Albert Camus)

photo: 'the rock' /irving texas /2009©sebastian

1 comment:

bergmanartworks said...

hey sebastian, looks like you have a small format book on your blog. seymour